The Snowflake Education method offers Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) a research-based method for teaching sustainability. In this comprehensive Training Program, you will receive everything you need to run a sustainability course using a flipped classroom, active learning and gamification approach. You will learn to fully master the Snowflake concept and to integrate a sustainability perspective on any course that you yourself or your colleagues are teaching - in a very neat, efficient, and engaging way.
This training addresses (1) educators in higher education, (2) sustainability coordinators, and (3) program directors. It summarizes the challenges to integrating sustainability in higher education and provides concrete tools for addressing those issues. Participants can use these tools immediately in their own teaching and/or assist their colleagues in this process.
Enrolment for this course will be on a rolling basis, and the pace is flexible. Typically, participants complete the course in anywhere between 1 month and 1 year.
The total number of participants on any given occasion is limited. We are accepting new registrations now - see below for how to register.
Structure of the program:
The Teaching Sustainability Program consists of six modules. Each module consists of a number of self-paced exercises, video lectures and assignments. There are also monthly course calls online, common for all participants. In the online calls you will have the opportunity to talk live with the course leader as well as higher education faculty peers at different universities from across the globe, all of whom are taking the training.
The modules are:
- Module 1: Learning to teach sustainability (defining education for sustainable development; teaching for the global goals; key competences for sustainability)
- Module 2: Classroom and online activities for teaching sustainable development (active learning; classroom games; roleplay seminars; flipped-classroom activities)
- Module 3: Planning a sustainability module (practical course planning; constructive alignment in sustainability education; integration of sustainability in courses)
- Module 4: Sustainability education on a program level (how to integrate sustainability in any education program with relevance to the core subject; planning for progression; the concept of ‘virtual course plans’)
- Module 5: Enable necessary changes in the education structure (how to spark change processes in higher education; how to talk with deans about sustainability; the IIII-process for refurbishing an education program to better integrate sustainability)
- Module 6: Final project (individual, practical course-work that will be aligned with the particular challenges at your own institution, potentially in your own teaching)
Expect nominal study time on the order of 20 hours/module. It is possible to accelerate the training and take the modules in your own pace but if you follow a 5 hour/week schedule the program will take 6 months.
The Teaching Sustainability Program includes ALL of the following:
- The Teaching Sustainability Program: comprehensive training program in education for sustainable development, with a focus on practical teaching skills and practice and their connection to state-of-the-art research. If you follow the nominal pace that we have anticipated for a person that has a lot of other things on their desk, you could expect to spend around 5 hours/week for a duration of 6 months. This is flexible though and higher or lower pace is possible. ($3,997 Value)
- Values Thinking Learning Package(*): 6 Dilemma games + 6 decks of the SDG cards + digital learning material + PowerPoint slides to use in seminars and instructor’s manual etc. to facilitate seminars with up to 40 students per occasion. Teaching material for facilitating online seminars with the same learning objectives is also included. ($1,997 Value)
- Systems Thinking Learning Package(*): the FishBanks simulation classroom game + digital learning material + PowerPoint slides to use in seminars and instructor’s manual etc. to facilitate seminars with up to 40 students per occasion. Teaching material for facilitating online seminars with the same learning objectives is also included. ($1,997 Value)
- Critical Materials & Circular Economy Learning Package(*): 3 In the Loop games + digital learning material + PowerPoint slides to use in seminars and instructor’s manual etc. to facilitate seminars with up to 40 students per occasion. Teaching material for facilitating online seminars with the same learning objectives is also included. ($1,997 Value)
- Exclusive Community Membership ($997 Value)
- One-on-one Coaching: 5 Exclusive Calls with the Course Instructor. You will discuss, based on your particular situation, how to best implement the teaching material included in education programs at your own institution; The course leader will also help you to set up the online environment and go through how to run seminars etc. ($1,500 Value)
- 1000 Additional Snowflake Toolkit Student Licenses: each license is personal to each student, which may allow you to use this material in many courses across university ($20,000 Value)
- 10 Additional Snowflake Toolkit Teacher Licenses: each license is personal to each faculty member, which allows you to inspire colleagues to learn these methods from you – and/or to form a team of lecturers at your institution that can work together on accelerating sustainability integration in education. ($2,000 Value)
- Personal Life-time Access to the Snowflake Toolkit: your personal access to the Snowflake Toolkit teaching and learning material will never expire. ($2,997 Value)
TOTAL VALUE: $37,482
(*) Together, the teaching material included both as physical games and associated files and online material, will enable you to deliver teaching in sustainability corresponding to the equivalent of at least or in excess of 3 ECTS credits/6 UK CATS/1.5 US credit hours (80 student hours including 18 classroom hours, 60 homework hours and 2 exam hours) with all preparations for classes, PowerPoint slides, instructions for facilitating seminars, homework assignments, written exam etc. already prepared for you and ready to use.
All teaching material is prepared to run either classroom sessions or online sessions.
Right now, the price for this whole package is only $3,997
Upon completion of this training you will receive a certificate of completion.
Register for the next course: Faculty Training: Teaching Sustainability Program
DISCLAIMER: YOUR SUCCESS DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN EFFORT, MOTIVATION, COMMITMENT AND FOLLOW-THROUGH. WE CANNOT PREDICT AND WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL ATTAIN A PARTICULAR RESULT, AND YOU ACCEPT AND UNDERSTAND THAT RESULTS DIFFER FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. EACH INDIVIDUAL’S RESULTS DEPEND ON HIS OR HER UNIQUE BACKGROUND, DEDICATION, DESIRE, MOTIVATION, ACTIONS, AND NUMEROUS OTHER FACTORS. YOU FULLY AGREE THAT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES AS TO THE SPECIFIC OUTCOME OR RESULTS YOU CAN EXPECT FROM USING THE INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE ON OR THROUGH THIS WEBSITE OR PRODUCT. When you purchase our product, you understand that there is no guarantee that you will achieve any particular result or outcome using any of the ideas, tools, strategies or recommendations presented. We make no promises or warranties concerning your likelihood of success or performance.